To find a volunteer opportunity abroad, you can seek advice from your faculty, recognized organization or you may identify a project you would like to participate in yourself.
Before volunteering abroad, it’s important to do your own research on volunteer organizations, to choose a good, reliable and reputable one that shares your values. Here is a Going Abroad Checklist (PDF Version, 281 KB) to help you with questions that you should ask and matters you should consider before making a decision. You can also consult the My World Abroad Website. You have access to this tool free of charge using your uOttawa email address.
If you wish to discuss a project, we would be happy to meet you. Send an email to servingothers@uOttawa.ca to schedule an appointment.
uOttawa students making a difference abroad
- Emma Medjovic: Experiencing Costa Rica in the best way possible
- Robin Green: Learn to roll with it! Lessons learned from living on the shores of Lake Victoria, Tanzania
- Janique Fillion: Find a role that is well suited for you
- Emily Marie Burnt: From caring for elephants in Thailand to class at uOttawa
- Jennifer Divall: Discovering Tibet, discovering herself
- Rebecca Klaassen: Combatting gender inequality in South Africa
- Katie Chastven: A “close and inspirational bond” in Tanzania
- Carole-Ann Filiatreault: A Dream Come True
- Isabelle Boileau: Volunteering gives you wings