To find a volunteer opportunity abroad, you can seek advice from your faculty, recognized organization or you may identify a project you would like to participate in yourself.
Before volunteering abroad, it’s important to do your own research on volunteer organizations, to choose a good, reliable and reputable one that shares your values.Here are some resources that can help you in your planning:
- Here is a Going Abroad Checklist to help you with questions that you should ask and matters you should consider before making a decision.
- You can also consult the My World Abroad website; a platform which you can access free of charge using your University of Ottawa email address. This tool has many resources that will help you plan your international trip (New for summer 2020! You’ll be able to find new resources for planning your international engagement virtually/remotely.)
- You can also visit the website of the International Youth Internship Program.
If you wish to discuss a project, we would be happy to meet you. Send an email to our community engagement team to schedule an appointment with one of our agents.
uOttawa students making a difference abroad
- McKinley Richards: Education: a key driver of social change in developing countries
- Emma Medjovic: Experiencing Costa Rica in the best way possible
- Robin Green: Learn to roll with it! Lessons learned from living on the shores of Lake Victoria, Tanzania
- Janique Fillion: Find a role that is well suited for you
- Emily Marie Burnt: From caring for elephants in Thailand to class at uOttawa
- Rebecca Klaassen: Combatting gender inequality in South Africa
- Katie Chastven: A “close and inspirational bond” in Tanzania
- Carole-Ann Filiatreault: A Dream Come True
- Isabelle Boileau: Volunteering gives you wings